Wednesday 4 March 2015

Secret 7 - Responsive

''SECRET 7” IS AN ANNUAL EVENT THAT COMBINES MUSIC AND ART FOR A GOOD CAUSE.''

We take 7 tracks from 7 of the best-known musicians around and press each one 100 times to 7” vinyl. We then invite creatives from around the world to interpret the tracks in their own style for every 7”. 700 sleeves are exhibited and then sold for £50 apiece. You don't know who created the sleeve, or even which song it's for, until you have parted with your cash - the secret lies within.

Songs to Choose from:

Underworld - Born Slippy
St.Vincent - Digital Witness
Diana Ross & The Supremes - Reflections
The Macabees - Go
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
The Rolling Stones - Dead Flowers


For secret 7 I am to produce a piece of artwork for one of seven artists which will be used on a 7" vinyl album sleeve.  I've decided to produce artwork for the St.Vincent song, Digital Witness. I chose this song because I felt that it's lyrics and video allow for more interesting imagery to be created for it.
I began by watching the video and writing down/sketching key images which I could develop, as well as making a note of any evocative lyrics.


After talking with friends and exploring different ideas, I decided that the designs which were strongest were the concepts that had the real world vs the digital world illustrated. The abstract object was an interesting piece.




This was my 2nd favourite design, although I should've played around with the colours more, especially the yellows which could have been much more vivid.
I didn't like this version as I thought the white noise grain was too fine and that the blue object didn't stand out enough.

Final Design mocked up. I carried on the white noise onto the vinyl itself as I felt that it was the  most aesthetically pleasing aspect of the cover. I also like the idea of the digital work spilling into the different aspects of the packaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment