Wednesday 25 March 2015

Responsive Evaluations

Module Evaluation

I really enjoyed this module. It was the first module in which I really felt like I was producing work which I could show people and be proud of. This is why it really hurt when at 10 minutes before the deadline, InDesign crashed, corrupting my entire file. I managed to put together design boards (about half as many and of a lower quality) which made me feel slightly better, but it was still devastating after all my hard work. During the hand-in, Danny helped me a huge amount for which I am very thankful. I submitted most of my digital files on a usb stick and also my sketchbook. I'm very pleased I had a sketchbook for this rather than loose papers like usual as it made the hand in much easier and presented much nicer. I put a lot of effort into this module, much more than I have in any other and I believe that my final products show this. It has been the first module where I have been proud of work I have created, and have been happy showing friends. I think my work has evolved a huge amount.  Having motivational friends and tutors has made my work come along leaps and bounds, and has for the first time in a long time made me confident and happy to call myself a designer. From now on I'm going to be entering many more competition briefs in the hope of getting my work into the public eye and also to try network with as many other designers and companies as possible. The prizes are also rather motivational too.


Secret 7 Evaluation

The first brief I chose to tackle was Secret 7. I enjoyed taking part in the brief last year so I knew I wanted to do it again. After listening to all of the songs and analysing the lyrics and music videos, I felt that the St.Vincent song had the most possibilities. I found it easier designing for a song I disliked than a song I liked for some reason, possibly because I wasn’t distracted by the music and could focus more on the message. As always with briefs like this I sketched out ideas whilst listening to the song and watching the video, trying to immerse myself in the world St.Vincent was trying to create. I wanted to take an element from the video which wasn’t particularly important and showcasing it as an Easter egg of sorts. I liked my concept of real world vs digital world, even though I did worry that it wasn’t obvious enough. After consideration I realised that the work was interesting enough that it was ok, and anyone that watched the video would understand.
I liked the work that I created. I felt that it nicely encapsulated the song and aesthetically linked to the video. I think that my work has a good chance of being chosen; as my first piece of design work which I was properly content with I am going to be looking back at my design process for this module when tackling other briefs in the hope that I create more work I’m proud of.
If I were to do this brief again, I would just give myself more time to go more in depth in each area. Spend slightly more time researching existing album covers, produce more sketches and longer on illustrator perfecting the design.


Feathr Evaluation



Feathr was the next brief I tackled. I gave myself a very small amount of time to tackle this brief as I knew that I wanted to do the penguin books brief, which I knew would take a lot of work and time. I quickly ran through a few ideas on what I could produce and what my target audience could be and came up with a strong concept with targeted children, attempting to introduce them to healthy eating. As I do with all of my briefs, I began by researching what already existed. This let me understand how colour, shapes and repetition were being used and how successful it was. I then sketched out a handful of ideas, which was when I came up with the fruits concept. I'd have liked to have spent more time generating ideas, or possibly just expanding on my chosen idea more as I felt that my final product could have been more successful if I had allocated more time into experimenting and research. I also should have produced more types of fruit, which then could have been mix’n’matched to produce more customized wallpapers (even though the feathr competition/format wouldn’t allow for it, I liked the concept). The simplicity of the icons means that a brand could be established, creating furnishings like bed linen and stationary very easily which I like. If I were to redo this brief I’d certainly do more research and spend more time developing the designs, as I felt like the concept was really strong.



Coco Chanel Evaluation



This brief was a relatively small one, which I did mainly to see what I was capable of illustration wise. I realized very quickly that I wasn't a talented illustrator, so would have to rely on my design knowledge to create something simple but effective.
After researching Chanel, she certainly had an interesting life, with many controversial points. This however I felt was a distraction. I wanted my design to be all encompassing, not just looking at a single part of her rich life. I wanted to use my watercolours for this, as I felt that a vector illustration just wouldn’t suit the book. The book is about the woman not her company etc, so I wanted there to be a sense of human creation and involvement. Whilst looking at her pictures I found a particularly high contrast image of her, and could immediately recognise the most prominent features; her eyes/eyebrows, nostrils and lips. There was also a cigarette; however I removed that element as I felt that it may cause friction with a certain audience.  Experimenting with different ideas, and drawing from my research from the Feathr brief where I experimented with different illustration techniques, I produced a handful of different illustrations each with a different twist. The one I liked the most was the simplest one. Irritatingly the drawing was very small so I had to scan the file at a huge dpi which made the file huge which caused some problems, which certainly contributed to the huge file loss I had at the end of the module. This being said I was happy with what I produced but should have spent more time perfecting the illustration. I feel like the lines could have been smoother, the angles sharper and the lips could have been perfected.


852 Fitness



I took on a brief from 99designs.com, a website I had avoided for a long time to due believing that their process is incredibly immoral. I decided to tackle a small brief, creating a logo for a fitness company. They asked for a vintage style logo which was masculine, loud and used red, grey and white. The logos already submitted were all horrendous, some even had typos in the logo itself. They seemed to want a relatively clichéd logo, which I thought was easy, however trying to make a unique logo with clichéd elements proved to be almost impossible, especially since a gym has such a small amount of imagery related to it. I sketched a tonne of logos, seeing now I could fit the numbers together, how I could manipulate the negative space etc to no avail. I also asked my friends who go to gyms what they’d expect/want to see from a gyms branding. This was when I reluctantly started looking at vintage logos that used shapes and grains etc. It was much easier to design using these elements, which must explain a large part of their current ubiquity. I produced a logo which I was happy with that worked on different backgrounds and I think would look suit their gym and apparel. The main thing I learnt from this brief is that I don’t have to like my final product, the client does. This is something I will have to remember in the future as it often impacts my decision making. After this project, I still don’t like 99designs or other websites which force clients to fight to work. I believe it to be immoral, and more often than not a waste of time.


WWF



I undertook this project with my good friend Sarah Coletta who is a student on the Visual Communications course at LCA. She often produces illustrations of animals and is passionate about conservation, which is the reason we chose to tackle the WWF brief together. Her illustrations are always fantastic so I didn’t interfere with any design choices she made, whilst her knowledge on typography isn’t as strong as mine so I took charge of that aspect of the designs. We wanted to have a more relaxed tone of voice than most charities that currently are out there. Many tv and print ads show horrific and depressing imagery which is just ignored now due to it’s ubiquity. We wished to show the beauty of nature that we currently have, rather than a dystopia that we may have without human intervention. Once both had been completed we came together and tried different layouts and design ideas including the copy itself. After deliberation, talking with peers and some compromising we finished our posters and were happy with what we created. We then realised that since the typography was strong by itself and so were the illustrations, that we could create a wide range of different products which used our designs to spread the word and to create revenue for the cause. This included things like furnishings, phone cases and clothing. I think we did well on this brief; however I think more research could have been done to try influencing the aesthetic and typographic layout. I also would’ve felt bad altering Sarah’s illustrations, but I possibly could have experimented with some editing and manipulation.


Penguin



I was really passionate about this brief. As a lover of literature and book cover design I was incredibly excited to tackle this competition for ‘Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit’. It isn’t a book I myself would choose to read, but I did read the blurb, a synopsis and some reviews to gauge the correct target audience and plot points. I began sketching out covers which I thought would look beautiful and that slightly incorporated the topics in the book. After spending a lot of time researching covers I liked and sketching, I realised I was wasting time creating a cover that I would like, rather than a cover which matched the brief properly. I went back to the drawing board, creating different designs that I thought would resonate more with the books target audience. These new sketches were much better received in group critiques. I used my watercolours to create illustrations in different ways and using different shading techniques. The simpler versions were much better. I had to keep in mind that it would be in CMYK and that I can’t use any fancy printing techniques or inks. After deciding which illustrations to use I put the book together, drawing inspiration for the typographic layout from both existing penguin books and other books I’d researched. I also had a consistent dialogue with 2 friends who I trust with typography which helped evolve my work into what I believe to be a great piece. The only downside I think though was the quality of the scan, which even though it was at a high DPI, the paper which I had done my illustration on was poor which gave the illustration strange edges and some artefacts. If I did this brief again I would recreate the illustration larger and on higher quality paper. I would also have liked to spend more time researching typography to try produce something more interesting and new.I could have also handled my time better as I was having to rush towards the end, although this led to me realising just how much I can achieve even with a small time frame.


No comments:

Post a Comment